Daily Discoveries

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

The 80/20 Principle

I have always been telling myself that I have to go exercise one day, be it jogging around my neighbourhood or go swimming. And you know, the usual story comes up with hundreds and thousands of excuses - not enough time, don't feel like it, not in the mood, too tired, too lazy, too busy.. bla bla.. the list goes on. I guess you would have the same experience too.

Until I discovered this 80 / 20 principle in a book I've just read, yesterday. This principle is about a theory that the 20% of the things we do yields 80% of the results, while 80% of the things we do, yields 20% of the results.

So how does this apply in our life?

Everyday, when we plan things to do, we will usually list down a number of things we want to do for the day. And our list could include things like call Mary out for dinner, buy groceries, wash laundry, check out that new store etc etc. Once we have done that, we feel really good and it feels even better ticking away all the things that we have accomplished for the day.

But when we stop and think, hey, how are all these tasks that I've done, bring me nearer to my goals? Most of the time, the answer could be no. We prefer doing things that are simple, fun, easy and requires little effort. And most of the time, these are the 80% of the things we do which only result in 20% of the results.

Now, consider meeting up with that prospect who could be your potential client or go register that business. Would these require more courage, determination and effort? These tasks which demand more effort and requires us to overcome certain fears, are usually the 20% of the things we do which will yield 80% of the results.

So with that in mind, here's a tip:

The next time you draw up a to-do list, make it a power list by categorising the tasks you need to do into the 20% column or the 80% column. When you have a task in hand, ask yourself, which column should it go to? the 20% column which produces 80% of the results? or does it falls under the 80% column which produces only 20% of the results?

After you have done that, head straight to tackle the tasks under the 20% column. Once you have accomplished them, reward yourself. But remember, when u have done those tasks under the 80% column, forget about rewarding yourself. Only reward yourself for something productive which you have accomplished.

And, always do those things udner the 20% column during your more productive time. Some people do things better in the morning while some feels more productive at night. Meanwhile, leave those more trivial items under 80% column to those times when you need a break or during times when you feel lazy.

By applying this principle, I've managed to start this blog, yay! And also finally get my butt and legs moving to jog around the neighbourhood, after being sedentary for more than 7 months! I realised how procrastination has cost me my health and how procrastinating on these more challenging items has cost me a learning opportunity.

So, get your pen and paper, make your power list and off you go! Your goals are waiting for you~

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home