Daily Discoveries

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Give and You shall Receive

I was climbing the overhead bridge when I passed by this rather old lady who was huffing and puffing carrying two plastic bags which obviously looked rather heavy while muttering some words that sounded like "oh so heavy". I was messasging on my handphone then and intuitively I just turned to look at her and asked her "do you need help?". She smiled shyly and gently declined. So I went on with my way over the bridge and head towards the bus stop.

After some time, the lady finally conquered the bridge and came down the stairs looking at me, smiling. I was shocked, because there's this stranger who was smiling at me. So I smiled back and then we started talking, getting to know each other and coincidently, we were both waiting for the same bus.

Along the bus journey, we went on talking and finally exchanged numbers. It was amazing how such a small gesture of altruism could in turn, generate much more random acts of kindness. She pointed out to me the correct bus stop to alight and even offered her help.

After alighting, I went to meet my friend and we sat in a McDonalds chatting, catching up with each other. After chatting for a while and sipped about half a glass of iced lemon tea, my bladder was full. When I walked over to the ladies, I had another shock. There is now a counter for collecting fees to enter the toilet and it is priced at $0.20, while previously it was free. So I shelved the shock aside and went in.

To cut the story short, I went to the toilet for the second time and this time as I was walking in, I saw the old man who was taking care of the counter was already starting to close the counter. I took out a 20 cents but the elderly man shook his head and said, no need, and asked me to go in and use. So I asked him, whether he is working for a company or is he working for himself. He answered, he doesn't receive salary, but the 20 cents are his salary. Upon hearing this, I insisted that he take the 20 cents. What I received in return, was a smile so beautiful, it could warm anybody's heart.

It is just so wonderful how such small gestures could have made me receive so much more in return. Warm smiles from strangers and the continuity of kindness. What you give, is what you receive. Give and you shall receive. How true.

Sometimes, when we feel our life is filled with nasty people, stop for a while and reflect, whether you yourself has been a nasty person yourself. You will realise if you change your own self, you can change the people around you.

Keep the random acts of kindness going.~ :D

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home