Daily Discoveries

Monday, November 06, 2006

Passion and Motivation - What's the link?

Had a good game of table tennis yesterday, experiencing the same exhilaration when you smash the ball over the net and the opponent couldn't receive it. Which reminds me, how long have I not played it.

It's been at least two years, ever since I graduated. Really miss those days in the hall. You could play table tennnis to your heart's content, pitting your skills against better players and pick up tips and trick here and there.

When it comes to other types of sports, there might be bigger inertia to drag myself up from the bed early morning to go for a game. But when it comes to table tennis, it was natural motivation, which had me awake early morning and making my way to the sports complex.

Just the thought of being able to play my favourite sport, made me excited and I just can't wait for the next time I get to play it again.

Which brought me to this thought. When you have a passion for something, you do not need strong motivation to do it. Why? Because you are already naturally motivated. You already have this desire in you to do it, thus doesn't need a lot of outside factor to get you moving.

If, this principle is applied in our life, if you want to be successful, be passionate about being successful. If you want to be rich, be passionate about being rich. If you want to be slim, be passionate about being slim. If you want to be healthy, be passionate about being healthy. Logical isn't it?

Once you are passionate about what you do, you will naturally do well in it. Even if nobody is paying you anything, you will still do it. Because you like doing it. Simple equation, isn't it?

Moral of the story: Do something you are passionate about. You will find you need less push factor from outside, because you already have a natural pull factor towards your passion. Like what this book said, "Do something you are passionate about, money that comes by, is just a by-product."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home