Daily Discoveries

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Be Stern To Be Good

Until now, I still could not forget that look that a little boy had on his face. This boy, which is about 8 years old, wanted something very much which comes up to about $20. But then, the little boy only had $1. He was very persistent that he only want that thing, and not others, even though the others were cheaper and his $1 would be able to have bought them.

However, despite asking the boy to consider other things, he was still persistent. And refused to budge. At first I ignored him. But then, as time goes on, he was still standing at the same spot and I noticed that his eyes and nose were getting redder. And after some time, the tears started to tumble down. I didn't know what to do; my heart pains to see him like that. I almost wanted to take my own money out to buy it for him. But something was holding me back.

I told a mother of three about it. Initially, she also felt that it's no big deal, probably just some kids trying to use tears as their weapon to get what they want.

But after a while - I think she has been observing the little boy too - she went up to the boy and told the boy sternly that if he wanted the thing badly enough, to go back to save up and come back and buy. She asked the boy to speak up, say what he wanted. But the boy just looked insistently at the thing and pointed, without saying a single word. But she was stern with him and insisted that he speak up. However, he still didn't. By now, the boy was already crying. Then she talked to him in a softer way and sent him back.

There's one thing I learnt from her. It was how to be stern with children, even when your heart almost break by being so. I could almost feel the pain that the little boy was feeling - you wanted something so badly and yet you can't get it. I almost succumbed to my soft heart and give it to him as a gift. But luckily I didn't.

As I reflected back on the incident, I was glad that I didn't submit to his pleading eyes, for his own good. If he were to be able to get it easily by crying, what would happen next time? Will he be using the same way to get what he wants and in the end end up a useless and spoilt person? At least now, I'm comforted to know that he will have an even stronger desire to save up, and along the way, learn the importance of prudence. I believe, this little boy will grow up as a successful person, because I can see from the determination and focus he had, and with this hunger in him, he will definitely strive to be successful one day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home